LESSONS LEARNED FROM LIVING ALONE

3.12.2018


iving in a dorm has been so different than I imagined. I've been able to make it feel like home in my own way. I bought all new bedding, decor pieces, and yet kept the same color palette as my room back at my parents house. After a couple of months I can finally say that I do love my dorm room. I came in with everything being complicated and difficult, but my new roommate has been wonderful.

I grew up my own life with my own bedroom, and I loved my down time even at the age of four! So it's only natural that when I visit home for the weekend my bedroom upstairs is my absolute retreat to escape everything! Not because I feel the need to escape my roommate or college in general, but to recharge and feel completely at home.

I thought I'd share some learned lessons from my experience of living at home, compared to that dorm lifestyle! As a freshman considering university life I truly questioned the dorm living and it's for the reasons below, yet it's been such a joy figuring out myself knowing that I can survive and do it! But...there are still things I miss lol.


1. Pants are optional. 
I know that sounds funny, but it's true! Privacy is a luxury! I miss the freedom of not caring what I looked like while resting in bed or studying at my desk. Thankfully my roommate is a sweetheart and it works out, but the comforts of home in my room aren't the same at college.

2. I enjoy my space. 
As I stated above, I love quiet time. I'm an introvert, and therefore need to be able to recharge on my own before social events or even classes. Having to share my bathroom, closet, and room with someone has been a change by trying to be very polite of their space. When I visit home on the weekends I look forward to Netflix on my tv, dimmed lights, Lily by my side, and time alone resting on my queen bed lol.

3. The tv is all mine. 
Little things like a tv is something I chose not to bring with me in my dorm and I miss it. There isn't any space for one anyways, but once again the sacrifices you make to be in dorms.

4. Sharing is caring. 
One tool I've learned is how to get along with others and share. Share space, and even personal items. I don't mind this at all, but just know if you're not the sharing type living with roommates may not be up your alley.

5. Compromise is key. 
Compromise is hard, but a true key to keeping peace. The areas I once thought would irritate me, doesn't at all, and then vice versa. Just remember to be that roommate you'd want to live with!

Post a Comment

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.