HOW TO BALANCE COLLEGE WITH YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE

10.20.2017




know all too well how difficult it can be to balance the college lifestyle, and social life, along with running a blog. It's a lot to handle, and figure out, and I'm sure you've noticed my blog isn't as consist as it was just a year away, since I've moved to Vanguard.

Well, I'm still figuring it all out, but I have learned a few things here and there to help the entire process. Here are a few tips that hopefully can help you if your a college gal like myself!


1. Wake Up Early: 
Nah, college students aren't known for rising before the sun, but to really be able to have my cleaning and homework done in order to come back and spend time on social media, emails, and this blog. It's actually helped me so much, and who knew that extra hour would allow some fun time at night?!

2. Make Priorities:
This is something every girl has to do, not just for college. To balance out my load I try super hard to rely on my day planner and bring it with me everywhere that way I can see what assignments are due on what time, and time. The one's that are further in my week, I save until the next day. I also have to prioritize my specific times through out the day. Lunch is something I can't go without, therefore it's something I have to make priority above social gatherings, or last minute homework assignments.

3. Carve Out Time For Everything: 
It's a lot like making priorities, but this one relies more on my calendar/day planner skills. For social groups, homework, class time, snack breaks, choir practice, etc, all needs it's own divided attention. I know when I work best writing a paper, or reading my book therefore I carve out those times in my day to do that. It's weird, but reading a book at night makes me sleepy, so instead I swap that hour out for cleaning and to tidy up my desk and bathroom.

4. Create Boundaries (A.K.A. Say No): 
Something I'm slowly learning is when and how I need to say no to certain events, activities, and trips. My first month was critical to making new friends, and it was needed and wonderful, I don't regret my busyness, but I also made me tired and I felt burned out after awhile. Now, I have my group of friends, know my roommate, comfortable in classes, and finding my way around I don't feel the pressure or desire to constantly say yes to everything that comes my way! There is power in saying no.

5. Ask for Help: 
This one is something that really saves a person. The first month, I missed my family more than anything, home sickness was beyond real, but my parents made the effort to come see me and spend a whole day with me, and that helped SO much. Their help was through company, and it was needed. Another form of help is with classes. Don't be afraid to take up tutoring sessions, or private sessions with your professors. People are willing to help, all you have to do is ask.

6. Have Fun: 
Above all, have fun! It's something I've loved about college. The freedom, and independence. It's so fun to have my dorm room decorated to my liking, performing in choir, and making so many wonderful friends. College is an amazing experience, and I'm so grateful to be able to have this opportunity to grow and to have that type of fun I had back in high school!

6 comments

  1. I've learned that asking for help is key. I hate that I can't do everything--it's just life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A trick I employed in college was to treat school like was my job (which it basically was, at the time), which meant that from 8 - 5, my focus was entirely on schoolwork, classes, homework, etc. There were still times I had to "bring work home" and do it at night, but I found that being super hardcore productive during those typical work hours helped me to have at least a semblance of balance in my life. And I tried to always get into bed by 10:30 or 11 on weeknights, which helped a ton too since it meant I wasn't exhausted every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I should wake up early, but I just can't get myself to do that.... YET. It will happen... soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been out of college for quite some time now but I love the advice to ask questions. That applies so much in the real world when you start your first job out of college. I encourage it to my employees now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Great points! I think that more importantly than waking up early is finding your productive time and getting things done in that. Mornings are not my thing but I can kick serious booty right after lunch and into the night! Just know yourself and make time for the important things (like you said!) you got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly!! I have my rare 8pm kick-butt moments too haha.

      Delete

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.